Boston, Massachusetts:  Friday, January 4, 1929
(“New” Boston Garden) …
Gus Sonnenberg b. Ed “Strangler” Lewis to capture the World Heavyweight
Title (2-0) (Sonnenberg won the first fall in 29:46 and then took the second in 8:20) (Lewis was
accompanied by manager Billy Sandow, Jerry Sullivan and Tom Draak) (Sonnenberg was managed by
James Brown, Jack Albright and Dan Koloff) (Joe Malcewicz was introduced as the winner’s first
challenger before the match) … Dan Koloff b. George Walker (26:20) … Howard Cantonwine and Freddie
Meyers drew (30:00) … Stanley Stasiak b. Tommy Draak (21:03) … Bibber McCoy b. Sam Skorsky (8:20)
… (promoter:  Paul Bowser) … (referees:  Leon Burbank, Charlie Donnell) … (in attendance:  Numerous
members of the sporting and civilians communities attended the match including Massachusetts Governor
Frank Allen) … (20,000+ fans in attendance) (thousands turned away) … (gate:  $72-78,000) ($73,000)
Note:  Ed Lewis received $50,000 for the match, and Sonnenberg received $8,000.

Los Angeles, California:  Wednesday, December 10, 1930
(Olympic Auditorium) …
Ed Don George b. Gus Sonnenberg to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2/3)
(Sonnenberg won the first fall in 14:07 with a flying tackle, George won the second in 20:30 and George
won the third fall in 12:52 with a Japanese armlock) … Henry DeGlane b. Dan Koloff (16:45) … Nick Lutze
b. Don DeLaun (16:27) … (promoter:  Lou Daro) … (10,000 fans)
Notes:  “Don George” was billed by the Los Angeles Times as a “youthful newcomer to the wrestling
colony.” The paper reported that “the victory was hailed with loud acclaim, the assembled 10,000 fans going
wild in their enthusiasm, jumping over the seats in a wild attempt to lift the new champion up on their

Los Angeles, California:  Monday, April 13, 1931
(Wrigley Field) …
Ed “Strangler” Lewis b. Ed Don George to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2-0)
(Lewis won the first in 1:10:26, Lewis won the second in 7:42 with a hammerlock) (Lewis was managed by
Billy Sandow) … Joe Savoldi b. Myron Cox (9:05) … Joe Malcewicz b. Dick Raines (25:45) (bloody match)
… Bill Beth and Ad Santel drew (30:00) … (promoter:  Lou Daro) … (matchmaker:  Jack E. Daro) …
(referees:  Col. Ted Hopkins, Don W. McDonald) … (12,000 fans) … (gate:  $27,951)

Montreal, Quebec:  Monday, May 4, 1931
(Mount Royal Arena) … Henri DeGlane b.
Ed “Strangler” Lewis to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2-
0) (DeGlane won the first fall by pinfall in 33-minutes, DeGlane won the second by disqualification) (Lewis
was accompanied by Billy Sandow) (referee:  Eugene Tremblay) (after DeGlane had won the first fall,
Sandow entered the ring and protested the decision) (Montreal Athletic Commission Chairman Dr. Gason
Demers stated that Sandow had no license and directed several police officers to take the manager away
from the ring and to the back area) (Lewis was initially awarded the second fall by pinfall) (DeGlane got up
holding his right arm and upon an examination, it was found that Lewis had bitten him when Henri attempted
to lock a headlock on the defending champion) (referee Tremblay discussed the situation with Demers and
Alderman J.A. LaMarre, and finally disqualified Lewis, awarded DeGlane the championship) (five doctors
checked DeGlane’s wrist, each stating that he had been seriously hurt) (Sandow issued a challenge to
DeGlane immediately after the match) … Bibber McCoy b. George Vasell (2-0) … Lee Wykoff and George
Zarynoff drew (30:00) … Nick Lutze and Stanley Stasiak drew (45:00) … (promoters:  Louis Letourneau,
Lucien Riopel) … (referee:  Eugene Tremblay) … (7,500 fans) (new record) … (gate:  $10,000+)

Boston, Massachusetts:  February 10, 1933
(Boston Garden) …
Ed Don George b. Henri DeGlane to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2/3) (during
the third fall, DeGlane suffered a broken collarbone and was unable to continue) (DeGlane won the initial fall
in 17:24, George took the second in 1:54) … (promoter:  Paul Bowser) … (referee:  Sam Smith)

Boston, Massachusetts:  Tuesday, July 30, 1935
(Braves Field) …
Danno O’Mahoney b. Ed Don George to unify their two claims to the World Heavyweight
Title (countout) (1:30:00) (Braddock gave George a 20-count and then gave the match to O’Mahoney) (after
the match, George’s chief advisor Frank Delamano tried to attack Braddock and was punched out) …
Browning b. Chief Little Moose (17:24) … Gus Sonnenberg b. Boris Demetroff (1:00) … Billy Bartush and
Bibber McCoy drew … Dick Daviscourt and Henri Piers drew … Gino Garibaldi b. George Saunders (26
seconds) … Karl Pojello and George Zarnoff drew … Leo Numa and Frank Sexton drew … John Spellman
b. Jack Ross (3:26) … George McLeod b. Jim Wallis (6:53) … Andy Brown b. Danny Winters (5:47) …
(promoter:  Paul Bowser) … (referee:  Jimmy Braddock) … (45,000 fans) … (gate:  $70,000)
Notes:  George’s championship had been recognized in New England and parts of Eastern Canada.  This
show reportedly broke all records for Bowser and in New England, however, Bowser had a $90,000 gate in
July 1929.

Manhattan, New York:  March 2, 1936
(Madison Square Garden) …
Dick Shikat b. Danno O’Mahoney to capture the World Heavyweight Title (18:
57) (Shikat threatened to break O’Mahoney’s arm in a hammerlock) (O’Mahoney gave up) … Dean Detton
b. Rusty Westcoatt (14:07) …
Ed “Strangler” Lewis b. Charlie Strack (7:04) … Ernie Dusek b. Ed Meske
(18:23) … Abe Coleman and
Gus Sonnenberg drew (30:00) … Sergei Kalmikoff b. Tex Morgan (10:38) …
Sandor Vary b. Scotty McDougal (15:09) … (promoter:  Jack Curley) … (referee:  George Bothner) …
(7,000 fans)

Paul Bowser and the "Trust" lost control of the legitimate lineage of the world heavyweight championship.  
As a legal fight for
Dick Shikat's contract began, O'Mahoney took victories from Yvon Robert and Ed Don
George, and claimed the World Heavyweight championship.  As proof of his claim, he carried Bowser's
$10,000 diamond championship belt.

*The Montreal Athletic Commission gave
Danno O’Mahoney 30-days to defend his World Heavyweight
Title against Yvon Robert.  The July 1, 1936 edition of the Montreal Gazette stated that “O’Mahoney
recently defeated Robert in a bout at Boston which was recognized as for the world title by the
Massachusetts commission.”

Montreal, Quebec:  Thursday, July 16, 1936
(Montreal Forum) … Yvon Robert b.
Danno O’Mahoney to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2/3)
(after the match, O’Mahoney’s manager Jack McGrath complained that Robert fouled O’Mahoney, and
several fights broke out in the ring) (Robert was given the “A.W.A. belt.”) … Floyd Marshall b. Frank
Judson (20:10) … Emil Dusek b. Boris Demetroff (25:28) … Abie Kaplan b. Tony Parkin (15:30) … Charlie
Strack b. Arthur LeGrand (19:55) … Tommy Nilan and George Wilson drew (10:00) … (promoter:  Jack
Ganson) … (referee:  Danny Murray) … (10,000 fans)

Paul Bowser, a brilliant wrestling mind, had strong ties in Montreal and many other wrestling cities.  He
knew that a singular "World Heavyweight championship" was not important in grappling.  In 1938, he
decided to run a separate lineage in Montreal with Yvon Robert as the major fan favorite and perpetual
champion.  At the same time, he'd have the American Wrestling Association championship in Boston.  To
officially break the one title claim into two separate entities, Bowser's AWA stripped Robert of the World
Heavyweight championship on Tuesday, January 25, 1938 and put their recognition behind Lou Thesz.  
Thesz had beaten Everette Marshall on December 29, 1937 in St. Louis, in what was billed by St. Louis
papers as being for the “AWA” Title.

In Montreal, Yvon Robert remained the World Heavyweight Champion.

Toronto, Ontario:  March 3, 1938
(Maple Leaf Gardens) … Vic Christy b. Yvon Robert to capture the World Heavyweight Title (1-0) (7:28)
(Robert reportedly broke his right collarbone during the match and was unable to continue) (Robert was
taken to a local hospital)
Note:  Christy's last name was spelled, "Christie."

Toronto, Ontario:  June 9, 1938
(Maple Leaf Gardens) … The Masked Marvel b. Vic Christy to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2/3)
(Marvel won the initial fall in 14:41, Christy won the second in 6:28 and Marvel captured the third in 8:45)
… Yvon Robert b. John Katan (30:18) … (10,000 fans)

In early September 1938, George Robert, the father and manager of Yvon Robert, began petitioning for a
title match for his son against The Masked Marvel.  He soon got the Montreal promoter, Jack Ganson,
behind him.  The Montreal Boxing and Wrestling Commission backed the match and it was soon signed.  
During the second week of September, the members of the National Boxing Association and the National
Wrestling Association met in Montreal for their annual convention.  The NWA’s support of a World
Heavyweight Wrestling Champion was vacant after withdrawing recognition of John Pesek.  Ganson wanted
the NWA to recognize the winner of the Masked Marvel-Robert match.  Ganson was supported by those
promoters he worked with, Billy Sandow of Chicago and St. Louis, Al Haft of Columbus, Paul Bowser of
Boston, Walter Taylor of Cleveland, Jack Corcoran of Toronto and Jack Herman of Buffalo.

Interestingly enough, Dave Rochon, the chairman of the Montreal Ahtletic Commission, was named the First
Vice President of the National Wrestling Association.  The decision on just who would have the NWA’s
support for the World Championship would put a damper on Rochon’s standing with the group.

On Wednesday, September 14, 1938, Everette Marshall was elected NWA World Champion in an 8-6 vote.  
Delegates from Ohio and Maryland voted against Marshall’s standing.  Rochon wanted the NWA to wait for
their decision until after the Marvel-Robert match at the Forum.  He stated that he wanted to wait until after
the match to decide whether the Montreal Commission was going with the NWA or not.

Montreal, Quebec:  Wednesday, September 14, 1938
(Montreal Forum) … Yvon Robert b. The Masked Marvel to capture the World Heavyweight Title (1:55:23)
(Marvel refused to unmask, forcing the local commission to withhold his purse) … Dick Shikat b. Bob
Langevin (11:31) … Don Evans and Felix Miquet drew (30:00) … Mayes McLain b. Alonzo Wood (11:35)
… Nanjo Singh b. Maurice Robert (7:48) … (promoter:  Jack Ganson) … (referee:  Danny Murray) …
(10,000 fans)
Notes:  Notice of Robert’s championship victory was printed on the front page of the Montreal Gazette.  
Robert was managed by Emil Maupas.  After Robert’s victory, Montreal Athletic Commission chairman
Dave Rochon announced that the commission would not recognize Everette Marshall as champion,
following the National Wrestling Association decree.  Thus, the Canadian Boxing and Wrestling Federation
were breaking away from the NWA.

Montreal, Quebec:  Monday, December 19, 1938
(Montreal Forum) … Cy Williams b. Yvon Robert to capture the World Heavyweight Title (1:30:45) (at the
end of the match, Robert conceded the match to his opponent verbally to the referee) (Robert was half
carried from the ring) … Don Evans and Ed Don George drew (30:00) … Mayes McLain b. Sid Nabors (17:
08) … Maurice Robert b. Joe Marsh (13:20) … (promoter:  Jack Ganson) … (referee:  Dan Murray) …
(5,000 fans)
Notes:  Ganson presented Williams with the championship belt after the match.  The Montreal Gazette
reported that because Robert was going to Europe soon, it was expected that he’d lose the title at some point.

Montreal, Quebec:  Tuesday, August 8, 1939
(Montreal Forum) … Tournament to determine a challenger to World Champion Cy Williams … Billy Mills
b. Jack Smith (11:25) … Ernie Dusek b. Al Mercier (14:43) …
Danno O’Mahoney b. Bob Wagner (13:43)
Gus Sonnenberg b. Yvon Robert (DQ) (10:08) (Sonnenberg was unable to continue in the tourney) …
Danno O’Mahoney b. Billy Mills (8:30) … Ernie Dusek b. Gus Sonnenberg by forfeit … Ernie Dusek b.
Danno O’Mahoney to win the tournament (20:28) … (promoter:  Eddie Quinn) (initial show) … (referee:  
Dan Murray) … (announcer:  Downing Bourassa) … (4,000 fans)

*Ernie Dusek claimed the World Heavyweight Title on Wednesday, August 9, 1939, but the move was not
initially backed by the Montreal Athletic Commission.  Alderman Dave Rochon, commission chairman, made
a plea for the recognized titleholder Cy Williams to return to Montreal to wrestle the tournament’s victor,
and would have to determine where the commission stood if he failed to appear.

*By Friday, August 11, 1939, the Montreal Athletic Commission officially stripped Cy Williams of the World
Heavyweight Title and recognized Ernie Dusek.

Montreal, Quebec:  Tuesday, October 3, 1939
(Montreal Forum) … Yvon Robert b. Ernie Dusek to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2/3) (Dusek
won the first fall in 19:35, Robert won the second in 4:35 and third in 8:02) … Leo Lefebvre b. Danno O’
Mahoney (19-seconds) … Steve Casey b. Frank Judson (14:45) … Bob Russell b. Albert Mills (15:55) …
(promoter:  Eddie Quinn) … (referee:  Dan Murray) … (announcer:  T.P. Gorman) … (7,301 fans)

Cy Williams, of course, continued to claim the heavyweight championship.

Montreal, Quebec:  Tuesday, October 31, 1939
(Montreal Forum) … World Heavyweight Champion Yvon Robert b. Cy Williams to unify the latter’s claims
with his own (2-0) (first fall by disqualification in 24:05, second fall in 11:05) … Mayes McLain and Marvin
Westenberg drew (30:00) … Maurice Tillet b. Jim Cortland (12:04) … Maurice Robert b. Jack Marshall (12:
50) … Art LeGrand b. Albert Mills (13:20) … (promoter:  Eddie Quinn) … (referee:  Danny Murray) … (in
attendance:  Paul Bowser) … (5,800 fans)

Montreal, Quebec:  February 27, 1940
(Montreal Forum) … Joe Cox b. Yvon Robert to capture the World Heavyweight Title … Ralph Garibaldi
and Maurice Robert wrestled to a no contest … Gino Garibaldi b. Hymie Olsen … Bibber McCoy and
Charley Strack drew … (promoter:  Eddie Quinn)

Quebec City, Quebec:  May 20, 1940
( ) … Leo Numa b. Joe Cox to capture the World Heavyweight Title (DQ) … Yvon Robert b. George
Linnehan … Jean Pusie b. Lou Kelly … Jimmy Coffield b. Tony Parkin

The Montreal Athletic Commission didn't immediately embrace the championship aspirations of Leo Numa in
the Quebec.  Members of the commission met on Tuesday, May 28, 1940 and agreed to recognize Numa as
champion based on his victory over Cox by disqualification.

Montreal, Quebec:  Wednesday, June 12, 1940
(Montreal Forum) …
Lou Thesz b. Leo Numa to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2/3) (Thesz won the
first fall in 30:31, Numa won the second in 3:56, Thesz won the third in 9:58) … Leo Lefebvre b. Cliff
Olsen (9:36) … Joe Cox b. Nanjo Singh (14:33) … Jimmy Coffield b. Joe Maynard (16:00) … (promoter:  
Eddie Quinn)

Montreal, Quebec:  Wednesday, October 23, 1940
(Montreal Forum) … Yvon Robert b.
Lou Thesz to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2/3) (Thesz won
the first fall in 20:06, Robert won the second in 6:29 and third in 4:30) … Tommy Rae b. Lou Plummer
(DQ) (14:54) … Tommy O’Toole b. Harry Kulkevich (11:07) … Frank Valois b. Tony Parkin (21:58) …
(promoter:  Eddie Quinn) … (7,000 fans)

Montreal, Quebec:  Wednesday, July 16, 1941
(Montreal Forum) …
Lou Thesz b. Yvon Robert to capture the World Heavyweight Title (2/3) … George “K.
O.” Koverly b. Len Macaluso (14:02) … Leo Numa and Marvin Westenberg drew (30:00) … Joe DeValteau
and Arthur LeGrand drew (30:00) … (promoter:  Eddie Quinn) … (referee:  Sammy Mack) … (2,450 fans)

Montreal, Quebec:  Wednesday, September 17, 1941
(Montreal Forum) … Yvon Robert b.
Lou Thesz to capture the World Heavyweight Title … (promoter:  
Eddie Quinn)

Montreal, Quebec: Thursday, May 7, 1942
(Forum, att.-4,285) … Earl McCready beat Yvon Robert to capture a claim to the World Heavyweight Title
(2-1, DQ) … Leo Lefebvre beat John Katan (DQ) … Billy Hansen beat George Linnehan … Larry Moquin
beat George Pavich … referee: Sammy Mack
Note:  Tommy Dorsey and his band had Wednesday booked at the Forum.

*On Tuesday, May 19, 1942, the Montreal Athletic Commission decided that McCready did not capture
Robert's World Heavyweight Championship on May 7, and voided out McCready's disqualification victory.  
McCready, however, continued to claim the championship.  Another report stated that McCready had
actually claimed the local World Title since his April 8 victory over Robert.

*On Tuesday, May 26, 1942, it was noted at the Montreal Athletic Commission's meeting that National
Wrestling Association President Harry J. Landry wanted the winner of Robert-McCready to wrestle Bill
Longson for the unified championship.

*On Tuesday, June 2, 1942, the Montreal Athletic Commission met to discuss the World Title match
between champion Yvon Robert and Earl McCready.  Both deposited $500 with the commssion and the belt
was transferred for presentation to the winner.  The winner would take hold of the Montreal version of the
World Heavyweight Title and the British Empire Titles.

Montreal, Quebec:  Wednesday, June 3, 1942
(Montreal Forum) … World Heavyweight Champion Yvon Robert b. Earl McCready to earn recognition as
British Empire and Canadian Heavyweight Champion and erase whatever claims the latter had to the local
World Title (1:09:44) … Billy Hanson b. Les Ryan (18:36) … John Katan b. Manuel Cortez (10:50) … Larry
Moquin b. George Linnehan (DQ) (10:05) … (promoter:  Eddie Quinn) … (referee:  Major Sammy Smith)
… (in attendance:  Frank Hogan, Montreal Athletic Commission Chairman, Lionel Conacher, Ontario Athletic
Commission President) … (6,500 fans)

*Promoter Eddie Quinn planned for a match between World, Canadian and British Empire Heavyweight
Champion Yvon Robert and National Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Champion Bill Longson for
July 7.  The match was later cancelled because Longson could not appear on that date.

By Tim Hornbaker
Thanks to Don Luce
World Heavyweight Title
Recognized in Montreal