Paul L George is better known as
“Pinkie” George and one of the original
founding members of the National Wrestling
Alliance.  The Des Moines promoter, along
with his brother Andrew, brought a new era
of wrestling to Iowa from Des Moines to
Waterloo.  From the NWA’s inception in
1948 until 1950, Paul served as the
President of the organization as it grew
from less then ten promoters to over a
hundred.  He began promoting in the early
1940s and brought top talent into a region
which had seen the likes of Frank Gotch roll
through and dominate the wrestling world.

George hosted a special July 1948 wrestling card in Waterloo.  The event would mark the first
meeting between a group of promoters who would meet and organize the National Wrestling
Alliance.  On Sunday, the 18th, George arranged for a several match wrestling show headlined
by the MWA World Champion, Orville Brown.  George Simpson, Sam Muchnick, Max Clayton,
Fred Kohler, Wally Karbo and the George Brothers were in attendance.  These promoters sat
down and began the Alliance during their conference, an act that would change professional
wrestling forever.  Brown was named the initial World Champion of the NWA, opposing the
National Wrestling Association Claim of Bill Longson and later, two days, Lou Thesz.  Paul was
given the honors of being the first NWA President.

Each of the men returned to their respected territories and began to run under the new
banner.  The promoters met again several months later in Minneapolis, Tony Stecher’s region.  
In November 1949, as Lou Thesz was named the second NWA World Champion in St. Louis,
George was renamed NWA President.  His second term began.  In November 1950, George
was replaced by Sam Muchnick.  In the years that followed, George was alienated from the

According to an article that ran in the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier on October 17, 1963,
George filed suit against four Missouri promoters for $200,000 in Federal Court in Kansas
City.  He charged that the promoters were involved in a conspiracy to prevent from promoting
matches.  The damage suit was filed against Gus Karras, George D. Simpson, Pat O’Connor
and Robert Geigel, all prominent NWA Promoters.  The plot was that the organizers were
forcing wrestlers to compete only for them, and threatened to “blackball” them in the entire
state if they went against them.  George stated that he was promoting more then 200 matches
a year prior to 1959, but since then he had unable to promote a match.  He continued to work
in the sports field.  

George replaced Verne Isenhower as manager of McElroy Auditorium in February 1975 after
Isenhower died.  He resigned as manager of the auditorium, which was announced in January
1976, but effective July 1, 1976.  George died in Des Moines on November 1, 1993 at the age
of 89 from complications of cancer and Alzheimer disease.  His importance in the beginning of
the NWA and the legacy of his promotions in Iowa set the standard for all to emulate.  Until the
end of his life, “Pinkie” was a heavyweight among men and his name will stand in the annals of
professional wrestling forever.

Other Historical Notes:

The September 3, 1945 edition of the Waterloo Daily Courier reported that there had been an
article in "Sports Week" that talked about a new enterprise known as "Heart of American Sports
Enterprises." The new corporation had Pinkie George as executive secretary.  Apparently the
article "sees a battle between the new group and New York's Mike Jacobs for top boxing talent."

Research by Tim Hornbaker
Pinkie George Wrestling History
Custom Search
(from left to right) Pinkie George, Pinkie's
son Paul, Jack Dempsey, Andy George)