Ted DiBiase is one of the most accomplished and talented wrestlers of the last twenty-five
years.  He has held numerous championships on two continents and nearly captured both
the NWA and WWF World Heavyweight Titles at different points in career.  If he was not
fighting for the title, he was the top challenger and he was also a gifted tag team
competitor and manager.

He is from a wrestling family.  DiBiase’s father was Mike DiBiase and his mother was Helen
Hilde.  DiBiase went to West Texas State University and was a popular football player.  
Among the other alumni of West Texas State to also join the professional wrestling world
were the Funks, Bruiser Brody, Tito Santana, Stan Hansen and Barry Windham, some of
modern times’ best athletes.  DiBiase suffered the loss of his father at the age of 15 on
July 2, 1969 when he died after a match in Lubbock, Texas.  Mike DiBiase was one of the
NWA’s top grapplers and won championship titles throughout the world.  Despite the
circumstances, Ted joined the pro ranks in 1975.

He was named Rookie of the Year and it was known early on that he was going to go on
and achieve the same sort of success that his father had.  DiBiase began working the
NWA World Circuit from Bill Watts’ territory in the Mid-South to Missouri and Texas and
many believed that DiBiase would make history by being the first man with less than two
years experience to capture the NWA World Heavyweight Title.  In St. Louis, on a Sam
Muchnick card, he teamed with Kevin Sullivan to beat Bennie Ramirez and Seki on
January 27, 1978 in two-of-three-falls.  DiBiase got the third fall victory over Seki using a
reverse rolling cradle in 1:52.  He had a second bout that night against Oko Shikina.  
DiBiase used a figure-four leglock to make his opponent submit in 9:40.  His work did not
go unnoticed.

On Sunday, February 12th, DiBiase received a shot at the NWA Missouri Title in St. Louis
after the scheduled challenger, Dick Murdoch had travel problems and promoters were
forced to make other arrangements.  The defending champion was Dick Slater, a brutal
wrestler who had also seen the blood of Texas.  DiBiase beat Slater and won the title.  He
met another West Texas Football Star and the man who should have received the shot at
the title earlier in the month, Murdoch, on February 26th in St. Louis.  DiBiase dropped
the belt.  In 1979, he was named as a claimant to the North American Title.

In March 1979, he was defending his championship in several regions and against all
challengers.  The high ranking he absorbed throughout his travels began to earn him
World Title shots and promoters and fans alike thought it was just a matter of time before
he won a major world championship.  He entered the northeast and began to wrestle for
the World Wrestling Federation, where he was recognized as the initial WWF recognized
North American Champion.  DiBiase lost his claim to Pat Patterson in June 1979 at
Allentown.  In 1980, he won the Mid-South version of the North American Title.  Late in
the year, he ventured into Georgia to give regional stars a shot at the belt.

On November 21, 1980, he beat Ken Patera in St. Louis for his second Missouri Title.  
Former NWA World Champion, Jack Brisco beat DiBiase and won the belt on October
2nd.  He began to venture to Japan and made a good name for himself during the 1982
Champion Carnival Tournament.  DiBiase tied for second place among three-men behind
Shohei Baba.  Back in the states, he took the managerial assistance of General Skandor
Akbar with Sheik Hercules Hernandez in the Mid-South Territory.  He lost a loser-leaves-
town cage match to Jim Duggan during the fall of 1983 at Houston.  DiBiase returned to
Georgia for several months before returning to Louisiana and Texas.  In May 1984, he
proved that he was not a man to be fooled with when he attacked Bob Armstrong, one of
the most popular wrestlers in the south.  The fight was not just the normal fist exchange,
but was DiBiase pummeling Armstrong into unconsciousness.  Armstrong suffered hairline
fractures in several bones in his face, a broken cheekbone and had to undergo extensive
facial plastic surgery.  The prolonged Armstrong-DiBiase feud dominated the headlines.

On December 25, 1984, DiBiase and Hernandez lost the Mid-South Tag Team Title in
New Orleans to The Rock and Roll Express.  DiBiase defeated Brad Armstrong on
January 16, 1985 in Shreveport to capture the Mid-South North American Heavyweight
Title.  May have made a big mistake on March 13th at a television taping in Shreveport.  
DiBiase went to the ring before TV Champion, Terry Taylor’s match against Jake Roberts
and said that the television title means a lot more now that Mid-South Wrestling was being
broadcast on WTBS out of Atlanta.  He put the North American Title up against Taylor’s
TV Title and was beaten.

DiBiase left the area for Texas.  He captured the Texas All-Star United States
Heavyweight Title in 1985 and lost the belt in San Antonio on September 29, 1985 to
Chavo Guerrero.  He suffered a near career threatening injury on November 6, 1985
prior to a match against Ric Flair for the NWA World Title.  Dick Murdoch entered the ring
after DiBiase had made his way out and stated that he deserved the title shot more than
Murdoch did.  Murdoch then proceeded to attack DiBiase and pounded his head down
onto the corner ringpost.  When the attack ceased, DiBiase was left to fight Ric Flair, the
fresh man.  Flair and DiBiase battled brutally and the amount of blood spilled did not stop
the action.  DiBiase was sent over the top rope and near Murdoch, who was waiting for a
second opportunity to attack him.  He got it and hit DiBiase with a brainbuster on the
concrete floor.  The match ended there and Flair retained.  Murdoch was suspended for
45-days and DiBiase was hospitalized.

Later in the month, DiBiase traveled to Japan and teamed with Stan Hansen for the
annual AJPW Tag Team Tournament.  The team beat out a number of teams, including
the previous champions, Genichiro Tenryu and Jumbo Tsuruta, to win the event.  He
returned to the Mid-South and when Bill Watts converted his promotion to the Universal
Wrestling Federation, DiBiase went with them.  He began teaming with “Dr. Death” Steve
Williams.  DiBiase faced and defeated UWF World Heavyweight Champion, Terry Gordy
in several non-title matches later in the year.  One came in a special cage match at the
Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston.  He never won the title.  In late 1986, DiBiase and
Hansen came in second during the AJPW annual tournament in Japan.

DiBiase made his return to the World Wrestling Federation in 1987 as the “Million Dollar
Man.”  He made it known that everyone had a price.  DiBiase paid fans to do different
things and gave cash away as if it were nothing.  Virgil was his bodyguard.  In a special
segment with Robin Leach, DiBiase was interviewed by the Lifestyles of the Rich and
Famous.  It was also known that he wanted to purchase the WWF World Title and was
ready to capitalize on the history between Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan.  If there was
any man in the WWF who could beat the World Champion, it was Andre.  Ted went to
Bobby Heenan and Andre with a proposition.  He asked him if he could deliver the belt.  
Andre agreed that he could.

A special NBC prime-time show was scheduled for February 5, 1988 in Indianapolis.  The
Main Event presented a World  Title Match between Hogan and Andre.  During their
match, Virgil got involved.  The valet prevented Hogan from landing his legdrop, then
distracted the referee while Hogan had Andre pinned.  Hogan got up and went after the
referee and Virgil, allowing Andre to stand up and get the champion down to the mat.  
Earl Hebner counted to three and Andre captured the WWF Title.  Dave Hebner ran out
and Hogan faced two referee’s while DiBiase awaited Andre’s visit.  The belt was handed
to DiBiase and he immediately claimed the title.  WWF President Jack Tunney cited both
controversies and decided to strip Andre and whatever claim DiBiase thought he had, of
the title.

It was declared vacant and a tournament was announced for WrestleMania IV on March
29th in Atlantic City.  When the tournament pairings came out on February 12th, DiBiase
was scheduled to meet Jim Duggan in the lower bracket.  Andre was to meet Hogan in the
second round, advancing with a special bye.  But later on, it was altered.  DiBiase would
face Duggan, but in the top bracket.  He would actually meet the winner of the Andre-
Hogan match if he was to get out of the first and second rounds.  A possible DiBiase-
Andre match was sighted.  Randy Savage would be fighting out of the lower bracket, and
was the favorite.

A preview for the tournament came about on March 7, 1988 in Nashville with Savage as
DiBiase’s opponent.  It was a taping for Saturday Night’s Main Event, arousing more
interest in the upcoming pay-per-view.  During their match, the referee was knocked out.  
Taking advantage of the situation, Andre the Giant and DiBiase beat on Savage.  When
the referee came to, Savage was out of the ring and was counted that way.  Elizabeth
found Hulk Hogan in the dressing room area and easily convinced him to clear the ring.  
He did.  The damage was done.  Andre and DiBiase were heading to Atlantic City with a
clear victory over the fan favorites.  DiBiase was accompanied by both Virgil and the
Giant for his match with Jim Duggan in the first round.  Andre tripped Duggan during a
key moment and DiBiase got the pin to advance.

The second round Andre-Hogan match ended in a shocking double-disqualification which
eliminated both men.  DiBiase, of course, was ringside for Andre and played a part in the
bout.  With both favorites gone from the tournament, many were left to speculate if it was
the “Million Dollar Man’s” plan the entire time.  As DiBiase was making his getaway after
the wild contest, he threw Virgil into the hands of Hogan which prevented his usual
second from appearing with him during his second round match against Don Muraco.  In
his opponent’s corner was former WWWF World Champion “Superstar” Billy Graham.  
The DiBiase-Muraco bout was a real war and at times it seemed as if either man could
advance.  He used a top-rope clothesline to score a pin and would receive a bye straight
into the finals.  DiBiase had time to recuperate from his two matches.

On the other side of the brackets, Randy Savage beat Greg Valentine and then gained a
hard fought victory over the One Man Gang.  It was set.  Savage vs. DiBiase for the
World Championship.  Andre was again in the corner of DiBiase and willing, without
hesitation, to trip and block off Savage’s attack any chance he got.  In a moment of
desperation, Elizabeth retrieved Hogan from the back and as the match was drawing to
an end, the former champion hit DiBiase with a steel chair.  Savage climbed to the top
rope and landed a flying elbow.  DiBiase was pinned and a new champ was crowned.  
Throughout the summer, he challenged Savage for the belt.  On July 31st in Milwaukee,
DiBiase lost an important WWF Title match.  He also remained partners with Andre and
were known as the Mega Bucks.  After a tag loss to the Mega Powers, Hogan and
Savage, at SummerSlam, DiBiase and Andre went their own ways.

DiBiase beat four wrestlers, including the WWF World Champion, to win the 1988 King of
the Ring Tournament on October 16, 1988.  In the initial round, he beat Brutus Beefcake
and then Ken Patera and Ron Bass.  Savage was his finals opponent and Ted got the
win.  It was an important victory, keeping his name up on top of the list of challengers
after a year of failing attempts to capture the World Title.

DiBiase hired Bobby Heenan’s Haku to injure Hercules, but the attempt failed as did Virgil’
s.  He nearly won the 1989 Royal Rumble on January 15th and was the last man
eliminated by the huge Big John Studd.  DiBiase wrestled Brutus Beefcake to a double-
countout on April 2, 1989 at WrestleMania V in Atlantic City.  In May, he went out and
purchased the Million Dollar Title, a stunning belt he wore to the ring and displayed
whenever he could.  DiBiase made a successful early defense of the title against Bret
Hart.  He would soon embark on a long feud with Jake “The Snake” Roberts.  DiBiase
injured the man’s neck with his Million Dollar Dream sleeperhold and put him out of the

On October 14, 1989 in Cincinnati, DiBiase received a shot at Hulk Hogan’s WWF World
Title during Saturday Night’s Main Event.  With him was an imposing figure, Zeus, a man
who had combat Hogan during the filming of No Holds Barred.  Even with the handicap
advantage, DiBiase could not win the championship.  After his surgery, Roberts returned
to the ring and the feud lit up the WWF marquee.  The Million Dollar Belt was stolen by
Roberts and placed into the snake bag with Damien.  Finally, On April 1, 1990, the two
wrestled for the championship in Toronto before over 65,000 fans.  DiBiase won by
countout and regained control of the belt.  

Soon after the big event north of the border, a large group of wrestlers ventured to Asia
to compete.  DiBiase received a shot at the Ultimate Warrior’s new WWF World Title on
April 13th in Tokyo and lost in his bid.  During a taping for the Main Event, which aired on
Friday, November 23rd, DiBiase lost to the Warrior in Fort Wayne on October 30, 1990.  
He was disqualified.  As a special guest ring announcer, DiBiase assisted Mr. Perfect in
regaining the Intercontinental Title from Kerry Von Erich in Rochester on November 19th.  
Three days later at the Survivor Series, he revealed Kane the Undertaker as his new
weapon.  Little did everyone know what kind of career the Undertaker would go on to
have.  DiBiase pinned Bret Hart in the finals of the eight-man match to remain as the sole
survivor and take the victory.

Despite winning the tag match against Dustin and Dusty Rhodes in Miami on January 19,
1991 at the Royal Rumble, DiBiase’s problems seemed to expand as a feud ended.  His
longtime mate, Virgil was on the outs.  With support from Roddy Piper, Virgil turned on
DiBiase.  He would take “Sensational” Sherri Martel as his new manager in Pensacola on
March 11th.  At WrestleMania VII, DiBiase wrestled Virgil in a special grudge match.  
DiBiase lost by countout.  The war was far from over.  When it was all said and done,
Virgil had walked away with the Million Dollar Belt after a SummerSlam win in New York
City.  DiBiase teamed with Ric Flair, the Mountie and the Warlord in a winning effort at the
Survivor Series.  He avenged earlier losses with a pin over Virgil on December 3rd in
Texas.  The match had been a tag bout.  He soon decided to focus on the tag team
scene with the new year.

DiBiase formed an alliance with Irwin R. Schyster and their team would be conveniently
known as “Money Inc.” As they began, though they were known only as DiBiase and
Schyster.  At the McNichols Arena on February 7, 1992 in Denver, the duo stopped the
Legion of Doom and captured the WWF World Tag Team Title.  Later in the month, they
took Jimmy Hart to be their manager.  Hart’s former tag team, the Natural Disasters
became their number one challengers.  And the Earthquake and Typhoon were no
pushovers and seemed to be the likely champions after WrestleMania.  DiBiase and
Schyster did lose on April 5th in Indianapolis, but the loss was only by countout.  They
remained the titleholders.  During the summer, the Disasters beat Money Inc for the title
in Worcester.  DiBiase and Schyster remained a team and regained the title in mid-
October in Saskatchewan.

At WrestleMania on April 4, 1993 at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas, Money Inc. received
their stiffest challenge to date.  Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake formed a tag team and
went after the belts.  The popular duo, managed by DiBiase and Schyster’s former
manager, Jimmy Hart, had aligned themselves against the tag champions after an
incident earlier in the year in which Beefcake was attacked.  The brutal beating led to
Hogan’s return and Hart’s jump from a heel manager to the side of the former WWF
World Champion and his pal.  Money Inc. won the match against Hogan and Beefcake by
disqualification and remained the champions.  They continued to stun their nay-sayers.  
For a better part of a year, they had remained on top and gotten through some serious

In June 1993, over the span of six days, Money Inc. traded the World Tag Title with the
Steiner Brothers three times and became three-time champions themselves on the 16th
in Rockford, Illinois.  In St. Louis on the 19th, Rick and Scott were able to beat the
champions and keep the belts.  The dominance of Money Incorporated was over.

DiBiase began a tour of several other regions including the NWA, U.S. Independents and
Asia.  He appeared on All-Japan’s 21st Anniversary Show on October 23, 1993 in Tokyo
and beat Jun Akiyama before 16,000 at Budokan Hall.  At a benefit for another former
West Texas State University Football Player and San Francisco 49er, John Ayers, in
Amarillo, DiBiase defeated Tito Santana by countout.  The October 28, 1993 event
caused 6,000 fans to pack into the Civic Center.  DiBiase and Santana weren’t the only
WTSU alumni wrestling on the card.  Stan Hansen, Terry and Dory Funk Jr., and Dick
Murdock were also in attendance.  Two days later on October 30, 1993, Ted defeated
Terry Funk by countout in Bensalem, Pennsylvania on an NWA Card there.  DiBiase and
Hansen’s reign as the AJPW and PWF World Tag Team Champions ended as the annual
tournament began in November 1993.

He suffered an injury to his neck during a tag team bout in Japan and had to pull out of
the event in route to regaining the championship.  DiBiase and Hansen had defeated
Giant Kamala II and Abdullah the Butcher in that fateful match.  Hansen, in turn, chose
Shohei Baba to be his partner.  Injuries began to pile up and DiBiase’s career seemed at
it’s end.  He continued to play a role in the WWF as a commentator and manager.  His
experience allowed for both.  In 1994 and 1995, he managed the “Evil” Undertaker, Irwin
R. Schyster, Tatanka, Bam Bam Bigelow, King Kong Bundy, Kama, 1-2-3 Kid and Sid
Vicious before guiding the “Ring Master “into WWF Rings in early 1996.  The Ring Master
was none other than Steve Austin, who was fresh from stints in both WCW and ECW.

DiBiase first introduced Austin to WWF audiences on January 8, 1996 during an interview
segment with Brother Love.  He taught his new find the “Million Dollar Dream” sleeperhold
and guided him to an impressive win streak.  During the summer, DiBiase left the WWF
and signed with World Championship Wrestling.  He was immediately known as the
“money man” for the New World Order.  His initial appearance came during the August
26, 1996 edition of Monday Nitro on TNT.  He walked out through the crowd and sat in the
front row to watch a match between the Giant and Jim Duggan, an old foe.  He made a
jester to the camera, possibly signifying his joining the NWO.  The next week, he
appeared once again during the Dean Malenko-Chris Jericho match.  Later, he
disappeared in a black limo.

DiBiase’s alliance with the Hogan led faction was known.  During the September 9th Nitro,
he was seen putting flyers on automobiles in the parking lot of the arena.  Also, he was
seen speaking to a mysterious person in another limousine.  Later in the night, it was
found that DiBiase was speaking to Sting, who attacked Lex Luger with Hogan.  The Sting
turned out to be a fake one.  The NWO’s angle caused Sting to leave the organization
and disappear into thin air.  His loyalties were questioned and his moral was destroyed.  
The NWO had won another battle.  On September 16th, DiBiase appeared with Hogan,
Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, The Giant, the Fake Sting and Syxx.  Together, they planned for
the next week’s show when most of the WCW roster would be in Japan.  The New World
Order was going to have the run of things.  And they did.  Randy Savage was the main
focus and he was attacked.  They spray-painted and destroyed the WCW set.  DiBiase
did not remain a member of the New World Order for too long.

He left the group in early ’97, only to return to WCW and manage the Steiner Brothers
later in the year and into 1998.  DiBiase helped the Steiner’s battle the NWO.  In 1998, he
retired completely from the sport.

In August 1997, DiBiase’s book Everyman Has a Price was released.  The
autobiographical work detailed many of the events that sculptured both his personal and
professional life.  The book was very well received and continues to sell copies all across
the world.

Ted DiBiase was one of the sport’s best and respected athletes for the better part of 15
years.  His accomplishments remain unmatched.


-Co-holder of the NWA Mid-South U.S. Tag Team Title (1976) w/ Dick Murdoch
-NWA Mid-South North American Heavyweight Title (1976-’77)
-A two-time NWA Missouri State Heavyweight Champion
        -Defeated Dick Slater (1978)
        -Defeated Ken Patera (1981)
-NWA International Heavyweight Title (1978-’79)
-Co-holder of the NWA Western States Tag Team Title (1979) w/ Tito Santana
-WWWF North American Heavyweight Title (1979) named
-A four-time Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion
        -Defeated Mike George (1980)
        -Defeated Paul Orndorff (1981)
        -Defeated Junkyard Dog (1982)
        -Defeated Brad Armstrong (1985)
-A two-time co-holder of the NWA Georgia Tag Team Title
        w/ Stan Frazier (1981)
        w/ Steve O (1981)
-A four-time co-holder of the NWA Mid-South Tag Team Title
        w/ Matt Borne (1982-’83)
        w/ Mr. Olympia (1984)
        w/ Hercules Hernandez (1984)
        w/ Steve Williams (1985-’86)
-A two-time NWA Georgia National Heavyweight Champion
        -Defeated Brett Wayne (1983-’84)
        -Defeated The Spoiler (1984)
-NWA United National Heavyweight Title (1983-’84) awarded
-Texas All-Star USA Heavyweight Title (1985)
-Co-holder of the UWF World Tag Team Title (1986) w/ Steve Williams
-A two-time co-holder of the PWF World Tag Team Title
        w/ Stan Hansen (1987)
        w/ Stan Hansen (1987)
-WWF King of the Ring Crown (1988) defeated Randy Savage
-A three-time co-holder of the WWF World Tag Team Title
        w/ Irwin R. Schyster (1992) defeated The Legion of Doom
        w/ Irwin R. Schyster (1992) defeated The Natural Disasters
        w/ Irwin R. Schyster (1993) defeated The Steiner Brothers
-Co-holder of the AJPW Unified World Tag Team Title (1993) w/ Stan Hansen


-WWF WrestleMania IV                vs. Jim Duggan                                        Won
-WWF WrestleMania IV                vs. Don Muraco                                       Won
-WWF WrestleMania IV                vs. Randy Savage                                     Lost
-WWF SummerSlam ’88               Team w/ Andre the Giant                          Lost
-WWF Survivor Series ’88             Ten Man Tag Team Elimination Match      Lost
-WWF Royal Rumble ’89               30-Man, Over-the-Top Rope Rumble         Eliminated
-WWF WrestleMania V                 vs. Brutus Beefcake                                  Double CO
-WWF SummerSlam ’89               vs. Jimmy Snuka                                     Won by CO
-WWF Survivor Series ’89             Eight-Man Tag Team Elimination Match    Lost
-WWF Royal Rumble ’90               30-Man, Over-the-Top Rope Rumble         Eliminated
-WWF WrestleMania VI                 vs. Jake Roberts                                     Won by CO
-WWF Survivor Series ’90             Eight-Man Tag Team Elimination Match    Won
-WWF Survivor Series ’90             Final Survivors Match                              Eliminated
-WWF Royal Rumble ’91               Team w/ Virgil                                        Won
-WWF WrestleMania VII                vs. Virgil                                                Lost by CO
-WWF SummerSlam ’91                vs. Virgil                                                Lost
-WWF Survivor Series ’91             Eight-Man, Tag Team Elimination Match    Won
-WWF Tuesday In Texas ’91          Team w/ Repo Man                                 Won
-WWF Royal Rumble ’92                30-Man, Over-the-Top Rope Rumble        Eliminated
-WWF WrestleMania VIII               Team w/ Irwin R. Schyster                      Lost by CO
-WWF SummerSlam ’92                 Team w/ Irwin R. Schyster                      Lost
-WWF Survivor Series ’92               Eight-Man Tag Team Elimination Match    Lost
-WWF Royal Rumble ’93                 30-Man, Over-the-Top Rope Rumble        Eliminated
-WWF WrestleMania IX                  Team w/ Irwin R. Schyster                      Won by DQ
-WWF King of the Ring ’93             Eight-Man Tag Team Match                     Lost
-WWF SummerSlam ’93                 vs. Razor Ramon                                     Lost

Research by Tim Hornbaker
Ted DiBiase Wrestling History
Custom Search
PPV Ring Record        TV Ring Record        Career Record
Legends of Pro Wrestling