Steve “Crusher” Casey is a former six-time World Heavyweight Champion and one of the
famous Casey Brothers, along with Jim and Tom.  He stood 6’0’’ and weighed in at 220
pounds.  Casey arrived in East Boston in 1936 from County Kerry, Ireland, ready to fight
anyone that would get into the ring with him.  Regional promoter, Paul Bowser got his hands
on Casey first and immediately signed a long-term deal.  “Crusher” beat Rudy Dusek of
Omaha on February 15, 1937 in Philadelphia.  On February 19, 1937, Casey was billed as
the latest title claimant by certain newspapers in a pinfall win over John Katan in North

Casey made history at the Boston Garden on February 11, 1938.  Casey defeated Lou
Thesz in a two-of-three-falls match to capture the AWA World Heavyweight Title.  Mrs. Bob
Gregory, the wife of the referee, gave Casey the title belt before an estimated 13,000
screaming fans.  Marv Westenberg beat Casey on March 2, 1939 in Boston and captured a
claim to the title, but his reign was short lived.  Gus Sonnenberg beat him two weeks later,
and Casey regained it on March 29th in Boston.  He faced Ed Don George on April 18th for
the title and lost the AWA Belt.  George remained the champion until a November 3rd
defense in Buffalo, New York.  There, Casey won his third AWA Championship.  Maurice
Tillet challenged him on May 13, 1940 in Boston and Casey lost the belt.  Tillet, under the
guidance of Karl Pojello, dominated the World Title for two years before Casey was able to
regain it on May 14, 1942 in Boston.  He traveled across the United States to San Francisco,
where Tillet regained the belt on August 1st.

Casey captured his fifth AWA Title on August 15th, also in San Francisco.  Early in 1945,
Casey joined the U.S. Army and entered the Artillery Ranks.  Left the United States as the
World Champion, and many promoters elected to have a Duration Champion while he was
gone.  Sandor Szabo was the man they picked.  On April 4, 1945, Casey returned to Boston
and unified to two claims.  He lost the title to Szabo on April 25th in Boston.  Casey made a
highly touted return to Boston in June 1945 and challenged Frank Sexton for the AWA World
Title on the 6th of that month.  He won his sixth World Title, but lost the title back to Sexton
on June 27th.  Casey soon retired from the sport.  He opened a Black Bay barroom in 1949
named “Crusher Casey’s,” a fitting title to such the establishment.

In 1968, three armed men robbed the bar and injured Casey.  He was in critical condition
and one of his customers were killed.  Casey recovered.  In 1976, a special dinner was held
in Princeton to honor Casey.  Nearly 250 people attended the event, including many from the
sports world.

Mr. Casey died of cancer on Saturday, January 10, 1987 in Brockton Veterans
Administration Hospital at the age of 78.

Other Historical Information:

Portland, Maine:  Monday, January 24, 1938
( ) ... Steve Casey b. Bob McCoy (2-0)
Note:  McCoy was said to be from Worcester.

According to the January 29, 1941 edition of the Boston Daily Globe, Casey joined the Army,
volunteering as part of the Selective Service Act.  He could report for duty as late as
February 8.  On the evening of January 29, he wrestled and beat Andy Meixner at the
Boston Arena.

Later that year, on October 18, 1941, Casey was discharged from the Army, according to the
Boston Daily Globe (10/19/41).  He was one of 44-soldiers discharged from Camp Langdon,
New Hampshire "under the 28-year-old ruling." Casey wanted to return to civilian life and
continue his career in professional wrestling.  However, less than two months later, Japan
attacked Pearl Harbor and the United States entered World War II.  By April 1942,
newspapers were calling Casey "Sergeant," as he had returned to service, working as an
assistant to Camp Langdon's athletic director, Captain Byron Blout.  He helped coordinate a
number of benefit programs for the military along with promoter Paul Bowser.

Research by Tim Hornbaker
Steve "Crusher" Casey Wrestling History
Custom Search